This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


dr link

Free, simple and easy to use, Doctorlink gives you 24/7 access to trusted medical advice and Practice services. Click here to register.

Sickness Certificates & Booking Transport


You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

Your employer can ask you to confirm that you've been ill.You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification.

If you're sick and off work for more than seven days, your employer will probably ask for proof of your illness. Most employers ask for a fit note from your GP.


However, this will also depend on your employer's company policy on sick leave (or sickness absence). This policy should tell you how many days you can be off sick before you need to provide proof of illness or a fit note.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)




Following discussions last year, Kennet and North Wiltshire and West Wiltshire PCTs, and Swindon PCT are now working in partnership with Great Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust to provide a Health Transport Travel Desk to arrange the requests for non emergency Patient Transport Services (PTS). This service will provide a Patient Transport Travel Desk situated within the ambulance PTS Control room and have direct access to the ambulance booking system. The service is available for an initial pilot period of 6 months.


As a result of the above changes, patients are now required to book their own transport, using the following guidelines.

  • If it’s your first outpatient appointment at a particular department then please call the patient transport team on 0845 120 5582 (Great Western Ambulance Service Trust). If you are travelling to the Royal United Hospital (RUH) please telephone 01225 826826.
  • If it is a follow-up appointment, or you are being admitted then contact the relevant department at the hospital / treatment centre.

Please note that at least 48 hours notice is needed to book transport, therefore you should phone as soon as you get your appointment.

The service will be available between 08.00 and 17.00 Monday to Fridays and transport will be provided free of charge when the patient has a medical need.


A service staffed by volunteers and although there is no fare, they do ask for a donation. If you need help to attend an appointment at the surgery, the hospital or to collect a prescription, please call Link on 07957 367124 (Bradford on Avon) or 07979 129052 (Melksham) or visit their website for more information


For travel to and from the Royal United Hospital, Bath. There is a fare to use this service. Please arrange by telephoning 01985 212 213


Comprehensive and up to date timetables can be printed from the traveline website. Please click on the following link to be taken to their page:

If you are unable to get hold of your timetable via this way, please phone the customer care team on 0300 456 0100.


Save the RUH Hopper Bus Service!

Connect2 provides patients with a choice of bookable journeys at affordable rates, operating Monday-Friday, from West Wiltshire and some North Wiltshire towns and villages to the Royal United Hospital (RUH) in Bath.

If you would like to support the Connect2 Bus Service then please sign an online petition to prevent this service from being removed:

or contact: 

Councillors Terry Chivers, Jeff Osborn, Helen Osborn and let them know your views.

Posted 28.04.15






Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website